In 2010, Konami rebooted the Castlevania franchise, throwing out the old continuity as they handed production of the series to third-party developers MercurySteam. Dubbed Lords of Shadow this new series went back to the early days of the Belmont clan, telling a new story about Gabriel Belmont and his eventual descendants.
With that new game, and the sequels that followed, Konami and MercurySteam explored a very different, much darker world of Castlevania (and that's saying something considering the original series wasn't exactly happy and bright more of the time). It all culminated with Lords of Shadow 2, a climactic last act set in the distant future.
Currently, Konami has no further plans for the Lords of Shadow series. Only time will tell if any of the characters or settings from this subseries will eventually be reused in some capacity down the road (perhaps in some Grimore game).
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (2010, Microsoft XBox 360 & Sony Playstation 3)
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (2013, Nintendo 3DS)
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate HD (2013, Microsoft XBox 360 & Sony Playstation 3)
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (2014, Microsoft XBox 360 & Sony Playstation 3)
Lords of Shadow Continuity
- Gabriel Belmont (aka Dracula), Vampire Hunter
- Simon Belmont, Gabriel's Grandson
- Trevor Belmont (aka Alucard), Gabriel's Son
- Brauner, Vampire Lieutenant
- Carmilla, Lord of the Vampires
- Cornell, Lord of the Lycanthropes
- Olrox, Commander of the Vampires
- Satan, King of All Evil
- Zobek (aka Death), Lord of the Necromancers